Saturday, November 24, 2012

Time Stops


 
Years ago my wristwatch packed up, so I went to the local jewellers and bought a very cheap replacement. It was a gentleman’s Lorus Sports V 501-X212 with a black dial and luminous hands. I particularly liked it because of being water resistant to 50 metres and it had a second hand for precise timing. Since owning the watch I have had the battery replaced, but now I must fit another.

Two mornings ago I woke up to discover that my watch had stopped at 11.34 pm. I felt the world had stopped and that I was in a state of suspended animation.

I am lost without a watch because I frequently refer to it during the day. My mother instilled into me the need for good timekeeping. She said I should always arrive at least 5 minutes before any appointment. I was to allow time for reaching the venue where the appointment was to take place and allow more time for unforeseen delays.

Today watches are two-a-penny, and it could almost be as cheap to buy a new one as it is to buy a new battery. Well, instead of going to the jeweller’s for fitting a battery, I thought I would have a go at doing it myself. That’s where the miniature screwdriver I had in last year’s Christmas cracker came in handy. It exactly fitted the tiny Phillips type screws that secured the backing plate. Having removed the plate I discovered I would have to get hold of a button cell battery marked with the code LR 626. A quick Google of the Internet revealed there was one at Amazon. A single click of the mouse confirmed that I had paid for the battery and shortly it would be in the post.

No longer in suspended animation I can get on with my life, being comforted by the fact that within a few days I’ll have my old friend Lorus to help me get by. Meanwhile, I have on my wrist a much more expensive watch, a gold plated Rotary given to me as a present by my wife. Somehow, I feel more comfortable wearing the cheaper watch, perhaps because I’m not concerned if I damage it. The gift watch is more suitable for formal and special occasions.

Ephesians 5:15, 16 ‘See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.’

Temporary Links

LORUS Sports Stainless Steel, Material Strap Watch 50m (Ebay)

10 AG4 G4 LR66 LR626 SR626w 376 377 1.5v Button Battery New  (Amazon) 



More permanent Link

Henry F. Phillips

4 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Don't forget a spot of sikaflex round the edge of the backing plate to ensure you can still get down to 50m and have it working when you surface.. :o))

William Serjeant said...

Steve,

I don't think I would survive!

Cheers,
Bill.

Paul Mullings said...

Not waterproof but of course you have the time on your cell phone!

William Serjeant said...

Paul,

You are right about the cell phone. I have it at all times!!

Cheers,
Bill.