Things didn’t work out as I expected, because I lost my nerve. Instead of leaving the support pin in the epoxy, I withdrew it. I had visions of the pin being trapped in the hole. I took the view that it would be safer to form the epoxy paste with a spatula. While I was about it I filled abrasions on the shaft. I also filled gaps between the pin and the wooden block into which it was fixed.
Saturday, December 07, 2013
I made a new plywood backing piece for the yuloh support block and epoxied the pivot pin in place to form an integral unit.
Before attaching the unit to the transom I must drill a hole into the shaft of the yuloh to receive the pinhead. It is my intention to line the hole with epoxy to form a cup that matches the shape and size of the pinhead. I can best do this by inserting the pinhead into the epoxy, but I must first apply Vaseline to the pinhead to prevent the epoxy from adhering to it. I’ll have to devise a method of supporting the block and pin to keep them stationary until the epoxy hardens.
Friday, December 06, 2013
My wife and I had unexpected invitations to a Christingle service for pupils of the school our grandchildren attend. The parish church was packed. I was overjoyed to see and hear so many happy children. Our three grandsons had rehearsed the singing over several weeks, and with the other youngsters they made a joyful noise.
The vicar tried to explain the significance and meaning of Chistingle, which some of the pupils seemed to grasp, despite the intrusive chattering of parents and grandparents. The vicar was not amused with the adults’ irreverence, and he appealed for quiet, but with little effect.
Their teachers were more than glad to part with the children at the end of the service, and the pupils were delighted not to have to return to school.
Back at home they played with their favourite toys, which for two of them included a desktop computer and an iPad!
Another surprise was in store for us, because as we were thinking of heading home, we were invited to have a meal at a nearby pub. This turned out to be a jolly time for all.
The Children’s Society – Christingle
The Meaning of Christingle
Thursday, December 05, 2013
Here we are again. I was unable to spend much time on the yuloh, but I was able to determine at what point and at what angle I should drill a pivot hole into its shaft.
Originally Derek placed his yuloh in a rowlock that slid into a hole in a block of wood fitted to the starboard side of the transom. The hole in the block was 300 millimetres from the centre of the top of the transom.
My plan is to permanently fix a pivot pin into the same block, and bond it to the transom where it was before. I’m not keen on additions such as this, but I believe the yuloh will function better with the pivot pin angled away from the transom and clear of it.
All of this is theoretical, and I’m hoping it will work in practice.
Wednesday, December 04, 2013
I don’t know what the temperature was this morning, but it was cold enough to stop me working on ‘Minnow’s’ yuloh. As I suffer from Reynard’s phenomenon, the circulation of blood in my fingers was inadequate, causing them to go white and to feel numb. However, in the afternoon the temperature rose, so that I was able to experiment with the pivot pin.
I wanted to work out where best to mount the stainless steel pin. Matt’s plan shows it to be on the starboard side embedded in the aft deck. If it is not close enough to the edge of the deck, it is possible for the yuloh to come into contact with the deck. If my memory serves me correctly, I have seen a yuloh pin embedded in a wooden block attached to the top of the transom. The upper surface of the block was angled away from the horizontal to rake the pin aft. This arrangement had the advantage of keeping the yuloh clear of the deck and setting the pin at right angles to the shaft of the yuloh when the yuloh was in its operative position.
Hopefully, with more time to think things through, I’ll be able to decide what will be best.
Tuesday, December 03, 2013
Pivot Cup Block
The yuloh is looking much better. I’ve more or less finished sanding it, and I’ve started making a hardwood block for the pivot cap. I shall epoxy the block to the shaft where it will also be epoxied to the old oar retainer ring.
Monday, December 02, 2013
I spent an hour or so sanding the blade of the yuloh. Where it had been reinforced with fibreglass there were irregularities. The surface was pitted and uneven. I shall not be able to remove these flaws entirely, but when I’ve finished, the yuloh will look better and it may function better because of being smoother and more correctly shaped for hydrodynamic lift. The curved surface has to be on the forward side of the blade, and the flat or slightly concave surface has to be on the aft, upper facing surface.