Sunday, March 16, 2014

Water for ‘Minnow’ and My Bosun Compass on Ebay



 

After sterilizing nine milk cartons for use as water containers I filled them to be tested for water tightness.  To check for leaks I placed them on newspaper so that minute traces of escaped water could be seen. Within minutes, all but one carton began to leak.

Clearly that will not do, so it’s back to the drawing board. Perhaps stronger plastic bottles will do the trick. They must be similar in size to the milk cartons to fit snugly into the bilge lockers.

Bosun Compass

I’ve put my trusted Bosun compass on Ebay at a starting bid of 10p. I had an identical compass for ‘Faith’, but it took up a lot of room and got in the way. If you are interested in acquiring a good compass, visit Ebay.co.uk and enter this number into the search box: 161251200778. There are other Bosun compasses for auction, but mine is the only one with the modern rose. It is bubble free, and in working order. Get yourself a bargain.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Bill, I'm well impressed with your progress. I'm sorry to hear about your water stowage problems. I think most of those bottles are fine, the problems start when they are re-used in that the seals are really only good for the one usage. The paper disc in the cap compresses a certain ammount and no more. It's then that it'll start to leak. If you could obtain rubber gaskets to fit inside the caps, I believe 99% of the leakage problems would be solved.

Paul Mullings said...

How about this sort of thing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-LITER-HYDRATION-PACK-BLADDER-WATER-BAG-0-3MM-BITE-VALVE-OUTDOOR-CAMPING-/281268441406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item417ce7d13e

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I'd try Richards suggestion... perhaps a suitably sized O ring/washer in the cap...?? A chap at work uses some cling film over the mouth of the container before putting cap on...

William Serjeant said...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions for curing leaking milk cartons.

I have found a solution by storing water in different containers. (See post for Monday, 17th March.)

Cheers,
Bill.