Wednesday, July 25, 2012

End of the Cruise

The time is 0900 on Wednesday, 25th July. There is not a breath of wind, but I expect a breeze will set in by about mid-morning as the land heats up.

I awoke before sunrise and listened to the shipping forecast which happened to be ten minutes after high water.

According to the forecast I can expect a variable force 3, increasing to 4 from the north.

As I ate breakfast I heard geese, skylarks, terns and a pheasant. The sun peeped over the river bank, and as it rose it changed colour from bright scarlet to vivid orange, finally becoming a dazzling, blinding golden ball.

Four sport fishing boats motored by, and following in their wakes there was a small trawler. Three German yachts anchored nearby broke out their anchors and joined the procession to sea.

As there was no way I could follow under sail, I resigned myself to sponging dew from the decks and tidying the boat.

Low water will be at 1116 which leaves little choice, except to wait for the wind. Maybe there will be enough for sailing seaward against the incoming tide.

2030 Trailer sailing is quite amazing. Here I am at home with the boat unpacked and tucked away for the night.

A lot has happened since 1050 when I got underway. This was possible because a light wind sprang up from the southeast.

The last of the ebb saw us clear of Branklet Spit at the entrance of the River Roach. From there it was a matter of tacking to and fro with the intention of reaching the Inner Crouch Buoy before we would be swept up river towards Burnham.

For twenty minutes we made no progress whatsoever, but the process of tacking was very enjoyable. There was plenty to see, what with loads of yachts and hordes of juniors racing Lasers and Toppers. Several safety boats were kept busy towing strays back to the start line.

Our speed downwind through the moorings was breathtaking, considering only half of the jib was set. I rapidly prepared the boat for mooring in the Yacht Harbour, and started the outboard.

It soon became clear that I could put 'Sandpiper' on the slipway straightaway. In no time at all she was on her tailer, ready for being prepared for the road.


Steve Carey said...

What a GREAT cruise. Transport arrives early in the morning to transport my Tiki 26 to her new owner. One hull at a time. It will be 4-5 hours before the trailer is back to take the second hull.

As soon as she's gone, I'll start on Molly's cabin makeover. Hope to launch around second week of August. May "Trailer Sail" but still thinking about paying for 3 months on one of the local marinas.

Anyway, well done Bill and congratulations on your cruise.

William Serjeant said...


I'm planning on being at Poole Harbour for the second week of August.

Hoping all goes well with launching Molly. Where do you expect to launch her?


Steve Carey said...

. . . . . it depends how the work goes inside the cabin. The last boat I line was a Newbridge Navigator (19ft). I used industrial carpet and a gallon of intoxicating glue! Technically, after the wiring is in place, it should only take a day or two.

I need to get a new stove as I let the one I had go with the Tiki 26 which was transported to her new owner today.

So, the answer to the question > > > second or third week in August. still need to get a towing bracket fitted and extra insurance on the car l . . . as well as insurance for Molly. I think that the quote from saga was £99.64 fully comprehensive (for Molly, not the car),

Then I've still got to find marina space and on and on and on . . .