Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday, 20th June

Tudor Buildings
Riddle Object
Year of the Pedestrian
Richard Hooker


Having an inflatable dinghy makes a lot of difference when at a place such as Starcross, because instead of being marooned on the boat, I can get ashore. After a very easy-going start I caught the 1023 bus to Exeter which passed through every little village en route. It took about 40 minutes before it arrived at the Bus Station. From there I ambled along the High Street which has been set aside for pedestrians - quite different to when I lived in Exeter in the late sixties; in fact, parts of the City are unrecognisable by me, the Bus Station being an example.


My camera came in handy for recording those things that interested me. Two pieces of what I would consider to be mediocre sculpture have been erected in the High Street. There’s a gleaming rocket-shaped mirror structure with reverse engraved lettering of riddles which can be read when seen in the adjacent mirrors. To me, this is complete nonsense which I could not understand. I felt it was not beautiful or ugly; nor was it a meaningful icon representative of time, place or theme. - a waste of money, resources and effort. No doubt others see the object differently. The second minor monument was a representation of figures that vaguely could be taken to be humans: two adult males and a younger female with two children, possibly one girl and an older boy. It was unveiled in 1998, to commemorate the Year of the Pedestrian. Again, I would classify the piece as being in the category of wasted resources, but who am I to judge?


In a different category at the Cathedral precinct there’s a sculpture of Richard Hooker, (1554 to 1600), who according to a plaque nearby was a prophet, son of Exeter, a lively Elizabethan priest, quick witted, urbane, intellectually acute, politically sophisticated, and passionately committed to the Church of England which he served.


If you are a visitor to Exeter you will not leave without being aware of the rich legacy of preserved Tudor buildings.


After my re-acquaintance with the City Centre, my brother-in-law took me in his car to his home. There we had a good chat, catching up on the news. He kindly brought me back to Starcross about mid-afternoon where I was relieved to find the dinghy exactly as I had left it at the head of the slipway that passes under the railway lines.


Soon it will be time to cook the evening meal. Afterwards I may take a stroll before turning in for the night. That will complete a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing day.

No comments: