Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Two things for ‘Minnow’




 

Today I finished making the water dispenser. The new pump perfectly fitted into the hole I cut through the cap of the carton that once contained Comfort liquid. When I unscrew the lid for topping up the water I can smell a slight fragrance. In time, I hope this will disappear. The carton very conveniently fits into the port side bin, which is within easy reach, so that I can transfer water to a kettle or cup etc without spilling any.

Another finished item is the tiller extension. Before being adapted for its new purpose, it was the leg of a small beside table that I no longer wanted.

I don’t think there will be an opportunity for working on ‘Minnow’ tomorrow, because I shall have a very busy schedule, but if I can snatch a moment, I’ll have a go at fitting blocks inside the vent box for the furling line and the topping lift.

8 comments:

Steve Carey said...

I like your water dispensing Bill. What make is the pump?

Steve

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Dilute Milton to get rid of the scent??

Paul Mullings said...

I was going to suggest lemon juice but probably a proprietary product such as Steve mentions would be best.

richard green said...

Hello Bill, absolutely love the tiller extension. Recycling at it's artistic best.
Your water dispenser is very good too, a drop of thin bleach will take care of the Comfort smell, and that should soon dissipate.

William Serjeant said...

Thanks guys for your helpful comments, and Steve C, I bought the pump on eBay. Here's a link to an identical one supplied by the same source:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390389482260?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cheers,
Bill.

Steve Carey said...

Thanks Bill. I bought one. A lot cheaper than a Whale Flipper but they last forever. Hopefully will almost last forever!

Thanks again

Steve
PS: Making 22" RC Model PUFFIN's Keels today. I have a kilo of lead shot to share between them and hope to fit them over the weekend. Then the Skeg & Rudder and then paint!

William Serjeant said...

Steve C,

I think the pump may be good for a year or two. If it packs up, I can get another. I can buy 4 for the price of a Whale caravan pump.

Cheers,
Bill.

Steve Carey said...

Hi Bill,

The PUMP arrived in the post this morning. It's OK but it was very poorly packed in a grey plastic bag. The tube was hanging out one end and my Post Lady said it was a wonder it's still there.

It looks OK and as long as the plastic doesn't turn brittle with age and the top break off it should last many years. I think they may be industrial soap dispensers.

I fitted the tube and filled a glass of water. It pumped it out in no time at all which means that it won't take more than half a dozed or so pushes to fill a kettle with enough water to make a cuppa for one.

Well done for finding them

Bye for now

Steve