Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Unwanted and Needed Gifts



I was having my hair cut when my hairdresser asked what ‘prezzies’ I wanted for Christmas. This took me aback and I had to think. In fact, there was nothing I desired. I had everything I could ever need. I was even more surprised when I realised that I had not thought about presents for myself. There truly was nothing I wanted! If I needed anything, then I might want it.

At this time of year when people habitually give gifts, many are given that are not wanted, indeed loads of them are never used. They end up in cupboards or lofts where they gather dust and are forgotten. Even children reject gifts they do not want and they set them to one side.

The latest advertisements for children’s Christmas presents are designed to encourage adults into buying trendy items such as Leap Pad 2 or Barbie Puppy Play Park.  Apparently, Peppa Pig and Zhu Zhu Hamsters are not so hip this year.

An advertisement in similar vein that caught my eye was in the form of a poster outside my local Methodist Church. At first I saw an image of a realistic looking boy doll; then I read the words:

Godbaby

The gift that loves you back.

At the bottom in small print were the words:

Christmas starts with Christ

Further scrutiny revealed a website address: christmasstarts.com .

I was hooked and wanted to know more. When back at home, I could not resist looking at the website which tells of God’s perfect gift, the gift of His Son.

Like so many gifts, this most precious gift will be rejected. People do not want Him. They are unaware that they need Him.

Links

Christmas Starts.com


Christmas Toys.org.uk


Leap Pad 2


Barbie Puppy Play Park


Zhu Zhu Hamsters


Why the toy industry may not have much to look forward to this Christmas


.

 

No comments: