Sunday, January 12, 2014

Searching Bill’s Log and a New Format



The old Google search engine within the blog stopped working, but a new search box appeared in the top left corner of the home page. This does not provide a series of page links as did the previous one; instead, an entirely new page appears, within which there are articles related to the search words. Since last mentioning this topic, Google has markedly improved the facility.
Once again, I’m trying a new format – my third attempt at finding something suitable. The original simple presentation was pretty good, but I felt it was getting a bit stale and dated. So far in my quest for a better and more modern version, I’ve tried two different ‘skins’ - both having their shortcomings. Steve who has his own blog, ‘Steve’s Stuff’, quite rightly expressed his doubts about the background graphics of my blog, and I would agree that the colour and design were not the most attractive. Reading white words on a dull, brownish red background was not easy on the eye.

In this latest presentation all the content of the blog has been retained, and I’m hoping I shall not want to change it in the near future.

Going back to the topic of ‘searching’, please give it a go. Key your search words into the little box in the top left corner of the home page.

Blog Statistics

Posts                                     1,818

Followers                            153

Published Comments     1,215

Page Views                         793,026

Page Views Last Month 22,719

Links

Steve’s Stuff

5 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Very nice - prefer this to the second version... Suggested changes... the header with the picture is wider than my screen - can you set the width to a lesser value?? I usually have it set to about a 1100px.... You can get to this via Template/Customise and then Adjust widths

William Serjeant said...

Steve,

Thank you. I have now adjusted the entire width to 1100px. It was 960px which suggests to me I have increased the width, rather than reduced it!

Please can I have your feedback on the adjustment.

Cheers,
Bill.

William Serjeant said...

Steve,

P.S. I think the problem may be more to do with the size of the header photo.

If I revert to a total width of 960px and reduce the width of the photo to 960px or less, that may be the answer.

Cheers,
Bill.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Hi Bill, yes I think you're right and it's the header photo that's the issue... the only other thing I can see which you may want to investigate on the layout screen is your followers widget - not sure how but it looks like that part of the screen has two columns, but the left hand column is blank? Not sure how that's happened as the bit before and after is single column..it's all good fun!

PS. Do like that header photo but I look forward to it being replaced with a picture of Minnow in the same location? :o)

William Serjeant said...

Steve,

Thanks for your help. I changed the photo as you suggested and reduced the width to 960 px.

I didn't have any success in moving the Followers' column to the left. In fact,information about them has disappeared.

Perhaps this will sort itself out.

Cheers,
Bill.