Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pottering - Part 3

As I write this, the boat is just touching bottom in Leigh Creek. It was a close thing getting here via the Havengore Bridge. Timing was crucial. I calculated I would have to be underway at Yokesfleet Creek at 12.40 for time to arrive at the Bridge with sufficient rise for getting over Maplin Sands, about 12.50.

That was the case, but there was a 10 minute delay because the lady who operates the bridge had not arrived. That left me 2 hours and 10 minutes of flood tide for making it to Leigh-on-Sea.

As I expected from the weather forecast, the wind freshened from the SW, a header! Just before rounding Southend Pier the engine ran out of fuel. I refilled the tank, but I couldn't get it to start. There was only one thing to do, and that was to sail. Headway was not possible.

I decided to head to a spot where two trawlers moor to the east of the Pier. However, I tried the engine again and it started. From there I was able to get 2 knots by motor sailing.

From the Leigh Buoy the Creek was fairly easy to find, and the inner gut was well buoyed.

As I finish today's log, 'Sandpiper' has settled on the bottom of the creek. I'm hoping for a reasonable night, although I'm expecting a Force5 and rain.

What will tomorrow bring?




1 comment:

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.