Monday, August 06, 2012

Poole Harbour


The most hazardous part was trailing 'Sandpiper' to Redcliffe Farm for launching. The journey by road took all morning. Several times we came to a halt on the M25 because of heavy traffic. Perhaps the Olympic Games was part of the problem.

Anyway, the short distance between Sandford Park campsite, where I offloaded gear for my family, was quickly done so that I arrived in good time for launching the boat at high water.
At 1450 'Sandpiper' was heading down the River Frome. Ten or so minutes later I brought her alongside at Ridge Wharf Yacht Centre to buy a Poole Harbour chart.

After light refreshments I continued down river. Loads of yachts were moored beside the reedy river bank. Past Swineham Point where the river widens over mudflats I unrolled the jib for a run before the fresh southwesterly.

I don't understand Poole Harbour tides, and I was surprised to find it was still making, but there was enough wind to push us over the tide at a 2.5 knots.

Beyond Gold Point and Patchins Point there was enough water for us to follow the shoreline to Shipstal Point, where I set the anchor in mud with only 0.8 metres of water the boat. By 1900 we were aground.

I love this kind of anchorage where many wader birds totally ignore yachts as they forage alongside. Apart from the sound of howling wind and the call of birds there is a wonderful peace here - such a contrast to the noisy traffic earlier in the day.

Well, I'm hoping I shall have a reasonable night's sleep.

PS The photos are of the boat at Ridge Wharf, Shipstal Point and my evening meal.

2 comments:

Steve Carey said...

Well done Bill.

The M25 is never much less than a nightmare. That part of your expedition best forgotten! Anyway , after all that, I bet your evening meal was magic!

Not much progress with Molly due to frequent showers. However, blue sky and sunny with 20ÂșC in between. I did pull up all the floor panels (30 super-screws!) and run the deck-socket cables through to the switch panel/box. It's all coming together and if the 25 Amp dual Red-Black cable arrives tomorrow, I should be able to complete the wiring.

I guess you uploaded to your blog using your iPhone?

William Serjeant said...

Hi Steve,
I hope you will soon finish sorting out 'Molly' and have fun sailing her. I may have 'Sandpiper' on the Blackwater perhaps next week or the week after. Do you think you will be afloat then?

I am doing this part of the blog with my iPhone. I've not found a way of putting photos within the text when uploading through Blogger.
Cheers,
Bill.