Sunday, November 07, 2010

Building ‘Sharpy’ Part 21

I didn’t expect to do any boatbuilding today, but it transpired that I had a couple of hours to spare; therefore I finished the port side panel by using a course file and sandpaper to remove epoxy that had been squeezed from between the sheer strake and the chine log.

Having done that, I thought I would have a bit of fun by doing a trial assembly of the parts. Firstly, I used a piece of string to hold the bow section to the stem post; then I inserted frame number one. Next, I fitted the transom which I lashed to the aft end of the side panels. Finally, I slotted into place frames two, three and four.

When I stood back to take in the whole picture, I was surprised that the boat was bigger than I expected her to be. Unless I can make an efficient roof rack modification by adding a roller over the boot of my car, I suspect getting her on top of my car may be more difficult than I first thought, but I won’t really know until I try it.

Well, I’m pleased with what I’ve done so far. All of the parts will need to be permanently joined together with epoxy. Afterwards, I shall have to make the transverse support frame for the keel box and fit it before attaching the hog, and the floor with its stringers.

I shall not be able to proceed unless I can sort out a means of heating the garage.

No comments: