Sunday, October 21, 2012

Workstation Time Capsule


 
I don’t know about you, but there are times when I’m trying to sort out something on my computer that I would rather not have to do. I’ll ‘work’ like a madman searching here and there for an answer - I Google and Bing over and over again seeking a solution. I’ll download that application, or that one, even that one, but each time there is a snag. If I try a free one, I can find I’m in real trouble. Halfway through the download, I discover my computer is being given a facelift that I do not want. I have to abort immediately. Thankfully I wriggle out of the situation, and I am greatly relieved that my computer has not been infiltrated by a bug, or a worm that chews bits away until it is completely useless.

Well, a few days ago I made a number of video clips using my iPhone 4s. The idea was to try linking them together by using Windows Movie Maker, but unknown to me iPhone videos which are in Quick Time format, are not compatible with Windows AVI videos. Of course I should have suspected that an Apple product would not be compatible with a Windows one. So I downloaded a trial version of AVS Video Maker specifically designed for Apple MOV files. Horror of horror, to orientate my videos the right way up, it was necessary to rotate them clockwise 90 degrees! A great struggle ensued as I wrestled with the problem. This was hard work! - Not at all fun as I had hoped for.

Even if I pay for a Quick Time Pro application, I’m not convinced that I shall be able to rotate my clips so that I don’t have to cock my head to one side to see them properly. The answer, of course, is to make sure that when I take more video clips with my iPhone I must have the home button facing me to my right. That will orientate the phone correctly, but unless I purchase a full version of AVS Video Maker, it will be of no avail, since the trial version can only produce watermarked videos, and many of the functions are missing. This all seems like hard work.

John 6:29, 29

Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”

Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

2 comments:

Phil said...

Hi Bill,
I struggled with iphone videos until I found that youtube has a video editor built in. Clips can be rotated, clipped and joined to make longer videos.
from the iphone menu you can send the clips straight to youtube.
Hope this helps
Phil

William Serjeant said...

Thanks Phil,

I'll investigate YouTube's video editor.

Cheers,
Bill.