Thursday, October 01, 2009

Fish and Chips




If you are stuck and you are in a hole at the end of the day because you are tired and you are hungry, what do you do? You look for the nearest takeaway. In these times you can be spoiled for choice. A recent survey of 3,000 adults found that Chinese takeaway foods are the most popular, followed closely by Indian foods. Fish and chips are still high on the list, along with pizzas. Mexican foods are gaining in popularity, while in the cities MacDonald’s, Burger King, Subway and KFC continue to do well. Some of their foods are unhealthier than others because they contain excessive calories and far too much sugar and salt.

Well, this evening after arriving home late and having no evening meal prepared for me because my wife thought I had eaten my main meal for the day at lunchtime, I plumped for takeaway cod and chips with no mushy peas. I can say the meal was very filling, but not up to the usual standard with crisp batter encapsulating the fish; instead it was rather soggy, and the chips were overcooked so they resembled plastic replicas with a similar taste. While at the shop, I noted that the proprietor was not supervising his team, and I assumed he was away unwell or on holiday. I am not grumbling about the quality of the food – simply making an observation, while being grateful for having food to eat. Customers vote with their feet, but I am not yet finished with my local fish and chip shop. However, in my village I have multiple choices of takeaway food outlets: there’s a charcoal grill which offers kebabs, burgers and pizzas; then there are two Chinese takeaways, and a Tandori restaurant that will deliver food free of charge.

No comments: