Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sailing Yacht 'Floray of Cowes'






On Saturday I was at Tollesbury Sailing Club as a visiting guest in connection with the Old Gaffers Association Easter fun event for raising money for the RNLI.

Part of the attraction of visiting a sailing club is seeing members’ boats. At this time of year yachts are being made ready for launching, and their owners are applying antifouling, boot-topping and perhaps fresh coats of paint to topsides, and varnish to spars, taffrails, hatches etc..

A splendid wooden yacht that caught my attention was ‘Floray of Cowes’, and for your interest I have posted photos of her. I know nothing about her, except what I have seen. I like her very high guardrails and her long, varnished coachroof, but I’m glad I do not have to maintain the varnish.

2 comments:

Patrick Hay said...

Hi, Bill,

Floray is an Alan Buchan design, about 35ft overall, 24.5ft waterline. She was built by Stebbings in 1961 with a GRP hull.

Looks like she's been meticulously maintained. She's still a beauty.

Anonymous said...

I think she was originally named Pelagos, and was raced by Ted Dallimore. I look after the http://www.stebbings-archive.net website, so it's great to see these photos.

My own boat is only a few hundred metres away on the Tollesbury saltings, so I'll go and take a look myself next time I'm in Essex.