Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Launching ‘Minnow’






There was no ceremony, and there were no spectators as I pushed ‘Minnow’ off her trailer into the muddy water of Burnham Yacht Harbour. A gentle wind from astern helped me yuloh her to a nearby pontoon where she will spend the night. I’ll rejoin her tomorrow, probably between 10.00 and 11.00.

After launching ‘Minnow’ I did a quick check to see if she was taking water, and as far as I could ascertain, she was as sound as a bell. Having made a cup of tea, I tried the Honda 2 HP outboard, and to my delight it fired and started after three or four pulls.

My plan for tomorrow is to do a little work on the gimbal for the cooker to ensure that the twin axels stay put. I don’t want the kettle or saucepan coming adrift. I could be scalded, or more to the point, the cooker could start a fire! Therefore, it is essential for me to put it right.

Afterwards, I’ll probably take ‘Minnow’ for a sail towards Fambridge on the flood tide. If the wind continues from the northeast, I’ll have a broad reach up river and a beat back towards Burnham. I’ll be interested to find out if the sheeting arrangement keeps the sheet clear of the engine and if I can get enough purchase to flatten the sail.

‘Minnow’s’ road trailer has been hosed with fresh water and it is now in her boathouse until required again. This may be a matter of days, weeks, or months. I cannot tell.

Thank you to all readers who have sent me good wishes and congratulations.

6 comments:

Steve Carey said...

Don't know about you Bill but I'm grinning from ear to ear! WELL DONE.

Steve

Unknown said...

Nice one Bill, congrats on the launch, been following avidly from down in Plymouth. Hoping to launch my "elderly" Fireball sometime this month, hope its as painless as yours was!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Brilliant! Fair winds, Bill!

William Serjeant said...

Had a good sail on Thursday, but so far I have not been able to publish the day's log.
Cheers Bill.

Steve Carey said...

GGGRRREAT. Looking forward to pictures and further reading.

Steve

Unknown said...

I'm so pleased for you Bill, you clearly have deserved your success so far. Had I been organised, you would have had me as a spectator for sure.
God bless and take care.