Monday, December 29, 2014

A Few More Boats I Like


 
Paul Fisher 50/50

 
Uffa Fox Fairey Atalanta

 
Phil Bolger Birdwatcher

 
Jeremy Rogers Contessa 26

 
Parker 21 

I am fascinated by sailing boats. I could look at them all day long. Here are a few more* I like.

The first is a 50/50 sailing and paddling, decked canoe built by me, according to a design by Paul Fisher whom I commissioned to produce plans for building her. I wish I had bought a stake in the royalties from the sale of plans, because I would have had a few pounds accruing to my account.

The second is a Fairey Atalanta with twin retractable keels designed by Uffa Fox. I admire the standard of build that was achieved by the hot moulding process of bonding veneers of wood together. I owned a Fairey Fulmar, her smaller sister.

The third is a Bolger Birdwatcher designed for shallow water sailing. Although longer than many trailer sailers, she can be towed behind a suitable vehicle on a bespoke road trailer.

The fourth is a Contessa 26. These deep- keel cruising yachts designed by Jeremy Rogers have a good reputation for being capable offshore sailboats. Anyone seeking a relatively cheap, well proven cruising yacht for two people could well consider adding her to their list of potential candidates.

The fifth, a Parker 21, is a versatile trailer sailer with a good performance, suitable for a crew of two.

Links

*AFew Boats I Like


‘Caleb’ 50/50 Canoe


Atalanta 26


Birdwatcher


Contessa 26 at Burnham-on-Crouch


Parker 21

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Bill, I do particularly like the Atalanta, and indeed, the whole Faery range. A friend from way back in the seventies had one that he crossed the Atlantic with. He and his crew encountered a hurricane, they decided to unship the mast and boom in order to minimise windage and obviate a dismasting and the resultant damage. She came through with just a few bumps and scratches. When they arrived in the 'States,(I forget where),much fuss was made of their crossing the Bermmuda Triangle, although it was the first they heard of it.

William Serjeant said...

Richard,

A good many Atalantas have survived from the early 70s. Here's the new association website:

http://atalantaowners.ning.com/

They will be having an East Coast Rally at West Mersea from 21st - 23rd August, 2015. That would be worth a visit.

Cheers,
Bill.