Monday, September 16, 2013

‘Minnow’s’ Transom Fittings

I had hoped to remove the lower gudgeon, because I suspected there was water ingress into the transom, but this was not the case. The gudgeon would appear to be epoxied to the transom. As far as I can tell, three bolts also secure it. Two of them I can extract, but the third must be imbedded in the gudgeon, because its bolt head is not visible.

As you can see from the photos, I have removed a block of wood to which the port rowlock was attached, and I have taken off the starboard rowlock fitting. I have also removed the block of wood for mounting the upper pintle fitting.

You’ll note that I have sanded the transom and associated parts. I have also sanded the decks. That only leaves the topsides, and the rudder and stock to be done, before I set about painting the exterior of the boat.
I had a look at the yuloh when deployed in the port rowlock and I wasn’t too happy with it. I much prefer a ball and socket arrangement, and I think a yuloh would be better on the starboard side, as per Matt Layden's design.
If I fit my outboard to the transom, which will be most likely, I'll put it on the port side. I couldn't have both the outboard and a yuloh on the same side; besides, the sail with its yard and boom are also stowed on the port side deck extending beyond the transom.

No comments: