Saturday, January 24, 2015

Snapdragon 24



The 24


The 747


The 24


The 24


In October, 2010 I did an article about the Snapdragon 747.* There are subtle differences between her and the earlier Snapdragon 24. The 747’s rig was modified by having a higher aspect ratio mainsail than the 24's. She also had 2 Genoas, the number one being 40 sq ft larger than the single Genoa of the 24. The rudder was redesigned, for what reason I do not know. I also think the 747’s windows were more angular with sharper corners. (Compare photos above.)

Both models were built by Thames Marine of Canvey Island in the early 1960s. It is much to their credit by way of construction with heavy lay-up GRP that these boats are still active and giving service to their owners today.

Links

*Snapdragon 747
Snapdragon 26
Snapdragon, Mirage and Invader Association
Snapdragon 24 - Sailboat Data.com
Sail Measurements of the 24 and the 747
Snapdragon 24 Yacht

Snapdragon 24 for Sale £5,990
Snapdragon 24 for Sale £6,750
Snapdragon 24 Sold
Snapdragon 24 Sold
Snapdragon 24 Sold


3 comments:

Adelaide said...

Hi Bill,

I see that your switch to Chrome was successful. I haven't downloaded Chrome yet, because I have some questions that the Blogger Forum hasn't answered.

Maybe you could answer them for me since Chrome is working for you.

Can I keep Internet Explorer9 and download Chrome? When you want to upload a photo do you then go back to the desktop and click on Chrome? Our default browser is Internet Explorer and I would still want to keep it that way since I share the computer with my husband.

I hope you don't mind me asking these questions. The forum is not very forthcomeing. You may contact me at adelaidebshaw@optonline.net

Thank you.
Adelaide

William Serjeant said...

Adelaide,

I downloaded Chrome, but I've kept IE as my default browser. I only use Chrome for uploading to the blog.

Cheers,
Bill.

Adelaide said...

Thanks, Bill, for your help.

Adelaide