Monday, January 19, 2015

Not Happy with Google and Blogger



Behind the scenes a number of us Bloggers have been posting to the Blogger Help Forum with the aim of trying to solve a recent problem of not being able to upload photos to our blogs.  It has been reported that if we change our Operating Systems to Google, all will be hunky-dory. We can then upload our photos with no problems!

That leaves us with choices – to change or not to change or to wait for a solution.

It seems to me that we are being held to ransom. This should not be the case. It is my contention that Google should live up to its moral responsibility and sort the mess out.

Not everyone will be happy changing their computer’s operating systems. I happen to like the one I have, which is Windows Explorer 9. It’s the one I am familiar with, and apart from my Apple mini iPad and iPhone, I have always used Windows-based systems.

Big players such as Google, Microsoft and Apple are forever trying to expand their empires by ‘capturing’ more and more cyberspace users. The more they can enslave us by keeping us in their clutches, the happier they are. They learn all they can about us; then they bombard us with advertisements tailored to our interests. The more mobile phones, tablets, laptops and desktop computers that rely on their Operating Systems, the more revenue they stand to gain. Facebook and Twitter and other social media providers increasingly do the same, while we lose more and more of our personal privacy because of their relentless spying.

Choices widen. Do we accept and resign ourselves to the fact that our personal privacy is being eroded? Do we believe we are being exploited? Do we want the whole world to have access to every aspect of our lives? If we opt out of Cyberspace we stand to lose what can be gained by access to it – an almost infinite knowledge base, innumerable opportunities for buying online, opportunities for expressing our opinions to a wide audience and rapid communication with anyone anywhere in the world. In these times, the benefits seem to favour opting in.

We might get choked up now and again, as I am with not being able to post photos to Bills-Log unless I change to a Google OS, but that’s part of the price I might have to pay. There’s no such thing as a free lunch. There’s always a cost. We all have to pay for the tune.

5 comments:

Adelaide said...

Hi Bill,

I saw your comment on the Blogger forum and found your blog. I agree with all you say about Google. I have the same problem uploading photos. I use photos on my blog: www.adelaide-whitepetals.blogspot.com to accompany my poetry. This is very annoying not to be able to post photos. Also, like you, I am happy with Windows Internet Explorer 9 and don't want to change. Let's hope the problem is repaired soon.

Adelaide

William Serjeant said...

Adelaide,

Seeing 'White Petals' I can understand how important it is for you to be able to upload photos.

Regards,
Bill.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Bill - have you tried back tracking to IE8?

William Serjeant said...

Thank you Steve.

It was working with IE 9 on the very latest update. The change has come from elsewhere.

As far as I can gather, only Firefox and Chrome are allowing photos to be uploaded.

Cheers,
Bill.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Ah... I've always used Firefox - faster and less hungry than IE