Sunday, December 15, 2013

Melonseed, A Classic Modern Dinghy



In 2009 I wrote an article* praising the attributes of a beautiful ‘maiden’, designed and crafted by Roger Crawford. She has become a classic dinghy available in modern materials today.

Shortly after posting the article I received a super original Christmas card drawn by Roger Rodibaugh, featuring his Melonseed skiff. I was captivated by the enticing lines of his lovely boat. She is still my favourite from the point of view of aesthetics.

A few days ago I received my fifth Melonseed greeting card from Roger, each of which features a few words extolling the joys of sailing Melonseed skiffs.

I feel sure Roger would like you to share what he has written:

Shore to Shore

We’re close-hauled to the wind, rail down, and perched on the tilting edge of water and sky – miles to windward on a single tack, east to west, shore to shore. Whitecaps flash in the sun on the rolling blue horizon. With every dip and rise, the bow wave washes the deck, and spray flies into the curve of sail that scythes the sky.

When we fetch the western shore, we tack in the shoals, ease the sheet,  and raise the board for the broad reach back, west to east – a loping, galloping rush,  tearing along the shore in the turquoise shallows, chasing our shadows across the sand, shore to shore.

Roger, if you are reading this, I want to say thank you for the joy you have given me. Each of your cards has been individually designed and presented differently according to the media chosen for expressing your thoughts, and apt words have been included to enrich the theme.

Roger, I wish you a very Happy Christmas, along with all other readers of this blog.

Links


Melonseed Skiff Again


1 comment:

Bursledon Blogger said...

I received Roger's cards for the past three years they are delightful