Thursday, September 05, 2013

‘Minnow’s’ Front Window






I was able to spend a couple of hours making a new front window for ‘Minnow’s’ cabin trunk. The old one made a perfect template. To prevent the Perspex splintering when using a jigsaw I placed it between pieces of plywood, and the shape was drawn on the upper piece.

When the Perspex was cut out I removed the upper piece and replaced it with the old window for ascertaining where to drill holes for the bolts. All went well without burring edges or splitting the Perspex.
Finally, I shall make as perfect a fit as possible within the mount, so as not to cause uneven tension on the Perspex when tightening the bolts. I have a feeling that is what caused the previous window to crack in so many places.

3 comments:

Sean Mulligan said...

Looking good Bill.....you are wasting no time getting no with restoring Minnow! Soon we will both be sailing our 'doxs. I got some more of the detail work to Scout done yesterday and will work on her today as well.Here's my update .. www.fullnby.com

Keep up the good work!!!

Sean

Steve Carey said...

Hi Bill, It's great to see you've wasted no time on "Minnow's makeover".

I learnt the hardway handling Perspex (acrylic). For many years I had twelve 90cm WWII Anti-Aircraft Searchlights. I was the sole engineer to keep the working and to set up and organize operation at various shows including the Colchester Tattoo, Beating Retreat in Horseguards Parade, Royal Tournament etc. We used colour gells to tint the beams for various effects. They only lasted one or two events as rough handling they got torn. I came up with the brilliant idea of using coloured perspex. I duly got one 4ft square RED 3mm sheet cut and tried it. A beautiful coloured beam was produce. I tested it at an event where we had to light-up a lone Piper and it worked well. I was worried about the heat from the seachlight but after a hour of continuous operation, it was just a bit warm. The committee decided to purchase four colours for each of the 12 searchlights (48). The cost was about £2,000!

The next job was in Dundee on new years eve. The temperature was -12ºC. As the operator lowered over the side of the lorries, dropping them on them on their edges, many of them cracked rendering them unusable!

On our return, I took them back to the supplier who cut them from square into a perfect circle and glued on a thick rubber edging. The Plastics supplier's workshop was cold and before they cut them, they left them in a tank of very hot water explaining that it was to stop them from cracking when they cut them.

Since then, I've always left perspex in the sun for a while of placed it in the bath full of hot water before cutting or drilling holes in it. I've never had it crack even when being a bit rough with it!

Steve
Around-in-Ten

William Serjeant said...

Well, Steve,

That's a great tip for cutting acrylic. I hadn't realised temperature was so important.

Cheers,
Bill.