Saturday, September 21, 2013

‘Minnow’s’ Cabin Top





Silicone sealant filled gaps between the hatch slider supports and the exterior of the cabin top, but the sealant was peeling and it looked untidy. I’ve made a better job of it by extracting the sealant and replacing it with epoxy fillets.

When the fillets harden, I’ll be able to lightly sand the cabin top and paint it with Pre-Kote in preparation for applying two upper coats of Toplac.

I also removed the metal sliders so that I shall be able to sand and paint the wooden supports. I noticed that drain holes through the supports were blocked; therefore I cleaned them ready for coating them with epoxy. Unless they are coated with epoxy, rainwater could soak into the wood and cause rot.

Yesterday, in the Comments section Steve Carey asked if I used a small paint roller. I have used paint rollers for apply antifouling, but I much prefer painting with brushes.

2 comments:

Steve Carey said...

. . . . You make a nice job with a brush Bill. If I use one it shows every blush mark. I do awkward corners with a brush and then overall with a small roller. Having said that, my preference is toy use a spray gun. It goes in every nook and cranny!

William Serjeant said...

Steve,

I was at Art College for 4 years, specializing in oil painting; hence working with brushes is second nature.

Spray guns are excellent for large areas, but I don't enjoy cleaning the components.

Cleaning a brush only takes a minute or so with the correct thinners, washing-up liquid and water.

Some of my brushes are used time and again.

Cheers,
Bill.