Thursday, August 15, 2013

‘Sandpiper’ – Ready to Go

The Ebay auction brought a satisfactory result. Although I lost financially, I certainly gained experientially through my involvement with the boat. I took her on knowing there would be work to do, but I didn’t realise to what extent! The biggest and most important aspect of renovating her was rebuilding the centreplate box in the proximity of the through-bolt. The repair was a complete success, and it improved the structure of the box. I felt pretty good about it.

Almost everything required attention, but now she is in good working order. There are still things that can be improved, such as installing replacement windows, building stowage racks in the cabin and adding berth cushions. Later, she could do with a new suit of sails, and her underwater parts could be repainted and antifouled.

Maintaining boats is a continuous business – pleasurable if done a little at a time when the need arises.

No doubt ‘Sandpiper’s’ new owner will have a lot of fun tinkering with her and sailing her. I understand he will be sailing her on inland waters. She’ll be a super boat for day sailing, fishing, motoring and picnicking. I sincerely hope he will be very pleased with her.

No comments: