Friday, August 30, 2013

Continuing with 'Minnow'




I took about 3 ½ hours to remove the cabin windows. I’m glad I did, because they were not sealed properly, and in continuous heavy weather at sea, I think they would have leaked. The rusty bolts retaining the windows looked pretty awful, and rust streaks from them would only get worse.

My next task is to take off the hatch window. Cleaning the Perspex may not be as bad as I thought. A light scraping with the blade of my penknife took off streaks of epoxy with little effort, but a slight marking remained. I have yet to experiment with the cleaning of the Perspex to see if I can make it presentable. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello again Bill, you're certainly cracking on with it. I think you did really well to get those winds out so quickly. Cleaning the perspex without excess scratching is clearly going to be a challenge. If you can get away with just scuffing, you could try an abrasive paste, like T-Cut, or even valve grinding paste, (try it somewhere not so obvious first!) You could try a Stanley blade for scraping as well, if you first round off the points to stop them digging in?

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Could you just use them as templates for new perspex windows or is the cost prohibitive???