Friday, February 24, 2012

12th October 2011 at Hullbridge







All of these yachts were photographed by me on the afternoon of 12th October, 2011. I don’t think there is anything special about them, but they are representative of small yachts that can take the ground. At low water, most of them would touch bottom, which at this location above the slipway at Hullbridge would most likely consist of a mixture of pebbles, small stones and perhaps mud. Boats close to the river banks may settle in mud, but those in the centre of the river where the ebb scours the bottom, would probably come into contact with small stones or gravel. As the yachts are moved by the current or wind they gouge out gullies or pits where they generally settle. Ideally, they should have iron bilge keels to support their weight and to prevent their fibreglass hulls from coming into contact with the abrasive riverbed.






Text for the Day

Deuteronomy 32:39 ‘Now see that I, even I, am He, And there is no God beside Me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; Nor is there any who can deliver from My hand.’

No comments: