I made it back to 'Sandpiper' today. The rail journey via Victoria Station was done in 3 and a 1/4 hours -considerably quicker than the homeward journey by bus and coach.
I set out with a heavy heart because it seemed the weather was still unsettled and the wind was coming from the west. However, the closer I came to Eastbourne the brighter the sky became until eventually it was mainly blue. What a difference the colour of the sky makes to ones morale.
I stocked the boat with the usual provisions of fresh fruit, bread, milk etc. Having checked she was OK, I prepared her for a quick getaway in the morning. I am assuming the wind will have abated by then and be more favourable in direction. I am expecting a headwind until perhaps mid-afternoon.
Nothing is decided about sailing tomorrow, but I shall have a firmer idea when I see this evening's forecast. The aim will be to reach Newhaven or Brighton. There could be a slim chance that Shoreham may be reached. Much will depend on the direction and strength of the wind.