Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Old Coins and their Worth



 
On January, 3rd I did an article about the pound sterling. Recently my wife reminded me that several years ago she had been given a collection of old coins, and she was curious to know how much they were worth. A quick Google came up with CoinQuest, which is a website for identifying and pricing collector coins.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to work out the value of my wife’s collection – roughly £540! That was not a bad gift. Of course, getting that amount for the collection would not be easy. If the coins were sold individually, or lumped together by country, one might sell them through Ebay. However, the hassle of doing it would hardly warrant the reward, because it could take months to dispose of the collection.

 
There are a few coins my wife would not want to part with, but she would possibly sell her 1914 [E] Buffalo five cent piece which is in very good condition. I understand a collector would pay 140 US dollars for a 1914 [D]. However, the [E] which my wife has is far less valuable. The person advertising a Buffalo [E] nickel currently on Ebay.co.uk is asking for offers up to £144.99, which is 219.85 US dollars! I think that’s probably a bit pricey.

Well, I had a great time looking at my wife’s collection containing coins from many different countries. The oldest was a 1675 Great Britain Charles 2nd farthing, probably worth £40.

Links

CoinQuest.com


US Indian Head or Buffalo Nickel 1913 to 1938


1914 Nickel Value


USA 5 Cents 1914 D Buffalo Nickel Key Date Rare (1088B) (Buy it now £ 149.99)


1675 Great Britain Farthings at Ebay


The Pound Sterling

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Usually, the worth of the coin depends on how old it is, and its rarity of course. And the metal is also another factor. Anyway, I can identify with your wife. It’s really hard to part with something, especially if it has sentimental value.

George @SouthFloridaCoins.com