When Derek built ‘Minnow’ (Enuf) he placed the outboard bracket to suit his Honda 2.3. I was able to fix my bracket in exactly the same position with the same holes through the transom. I have an old Honda 2 HP outboard which has similar dimensions and weight to those of Derek’s more modern engine.
I’m happy about installing the outboard, because I know it will be very useful for moving the boat in confined spaces such as in a marina or among closely moored boats. Tides on the East Coast where I do much of my sailing can be strong, particularly on springs, and if I find myself in a situation where it is imperative to make way against the current, I can resort to the engine. I have found that when it is calm and the sea is smooth, a Honda 2.3 HP outboard can propel a Paradox at 3 plus knots with the throttle set at less than a third of full power.
If the wind is on the nose and headway is not great, I shall be able to motor-sail for making better progress.
Points in favour of having an engine outweigh those for not having one. The biggest ‘snag’ of having one is ‘snagging’ of the sheet on the engine, and if the sheet happens to become tangled in the propeller, getting it free can be a problem. I’ve done it, but leaning over the stern and reaching out to the prop is not for the fainthearted! You definitely do not want to be doing this in a seaway.
I am trying to work out how best to avoid this situation. Pete who owns ‘Johanna’ has made a kind of cage attached to his outboard to minimize snagging, but as far as I can tell, it does not prevent the sheet from becoming tangled in the prop. I note that he has changed the sheet leads to come from the aft deck, instead of from the transom, and that may solve the problem.
If anyone can make suggestions for keeping the sheet clear of the engine, I’ll certainly take note of them.