Monday, April 11, 2011

‘Ladybird’ Again

They look OK, but two of them failed

A few new stitches at the head of the mainsail

Neat finish with glued sailcloth

I didn’t visit ‘Ladybird’ today, but her owner did. She did a little more varnishing. I just hope it thoroughly dried before the arrival of rain this evening.

I did my bit by making a few simple repairs to ‘Ladybird’s’ sails. Considering their age, which must be at least 10 years, they are in remarkably good condition. The sails took a bit of a bashing last season when I sailed the boat to Falmouth and back from Burnham-on-Crouch. The only parts requiring attention were a small section along the luff of the roller Genoa and a few stitches needed at the head of the mainsail by the luff rope.

I broke two needles in the process! Particularly difficult was the very thick section of the Genoa at the luff. I finally tidied it by gluing a piece of sailcloth around the luff with Evo-stik. That worked well, and looked quite smart.

Prior to me repairing the sails my daughter bought a packet of sailmaker’s needles at a cost of £7.94, which seemed exorbitant for ten needles. She’ll be surprised I managed to break two of them; one couldn’t withstand pressure on the eye when being thrust through the sail and the other bent. So much for W. Smith and Son’s handmade needles! A note on the label of the container says they were made of ‘Forged Best Cast Steel’. Under the address, Redditch, England, is the word, ‘Warranted’, whatever that may mean.

No comments: