Monday, October 24, 2011

Visit to the Vet

Now in Petland


You can never tell for sure what you’ll be doing the next day, or even the next hour. This morning I thought I was going to take my wife to my daughter’s place and leave her there before returning home. Instead, to my surprise, my daughter handed me her cat and asked me to take the animal to a veterinary surgery, because her pet had suddenly been taken ill. My daughter was unable to go herself, because she had to work.

Allergic Chat

When I arrived at the surgery I told the receptionist what had happened. Then I sat down to await my turn to see a vet. As I waited, a young lady vet explained to a dog owner and her son how allergies affecting her dog could possibly be identified and treated. At the same time one of the receptionists spoke to a couple who had brought their cat to be ‘castrated’ – the receptionist’s word, not mine. The other receptionist, while answering the phone, advised the caller that she should have her rabbit immunized against myxomatosis, because it was at this time of the year that the disease was most infectious. It could be spread by birds, rodents or insects, so she said.

Sleeping Dog - please do not disturb

Sat next to me there was a man whose dog had received an anaesthetic that was slowly taking effect. When the dog became unconscious, he and a male vet put him on a stretcher and conveyed him to an operating theatre.

Cute onlooker

My turn arrived, and I was shown into a treatment room where the cat was examined. The vet diagnosed a severe swelling of a kidney which had caused the creature a lot of pain. On account of the cat’s age, and the severity of her affliction, it was advised that the pet should be put down. Phone calls ensued between my daughter and the vet, and a decision was made to kill the cat by administering a lethal injection. Afterwards the animal would be incinerated and her ashes would be given to my daughter, if she so wished.


In the afternoon, when I went to my daughter’s home to collect my wife, I chatted with my three grandsons who were saddened by the loss of their pet, whom they said had died and gone to Petland.



Text for the Day


Matthew 15:27 ‘And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.”


Link


Petland – at least, she won’t go hungry there! The airfare could be a bit expensive, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petland

No comments: