Monday, August 03, 2009

Butterflies





Butterflies are widespread throughout the green areas of the world and each variety is dependent upon the flora needed for their sustenance. At this time of year in my part of the world, the South East of England, on fine sunny days there’ll be a good chance of seeing the Large White butterfly. These delicate creatures are seldom alone and several of them can often be seen flitting from garden to garden. They settle with their pale saffron wings in an upright position and occasionally they’ll spread them out while basking in the sunshine.
Another very common species is the Peacock which has coloured patterns reminiscent of a peacock’s feathers. These beautiful butterflies love to perch on buddleia where they sip the nectar.
A few days ago I was walking beside the River Crouch when I saw several Large White butterflies and a couple of Peacock butterflies evading the wind by taking advantage of a lee behind a flood prevention bank beside salt marshes. There growing on the bank was a variety of grasses, thistles, nettles and small flowers where the butterflies miraculously flitted without being entangled in the waving grass and vibrating stems of the flowers.
The camera of my mobile phone could not do them justice, but I took photos of them as a reminder of their beauty and of the occasion. Next time, I’ll take my Sony digital camera in the hope that I’ll be able to obtain better photographs. Meanwhile I’ll use images of the Large White and the Peacock butterfly I found via Google, and hereby give Google the publicity and credit for them. If you don’t use Google as a Search Engine, I recommend you do, and if I have infringed their copyright, I apologise here.

No comments: