Friday, October 21, 2011

‘Talitha’ in Hibernation

'Talitha' awaiting lay-up

I’m a cold morsel, and when I feel the cold I can become very cold. Part of the problem is that I suffer with Reynaud’s syndrome, which is a blood circulatory disorder. Contact with cold air or cold water triggers a reaction that causes spasms within blood vessels preventing blood flowing through them. Extremities of the body are affected, primarily finger tips and toes, but in extreme cases, ears and noses can also become victims of the disease. The result is a temporary loss of feeling in those parts. When circulation is restored, the patient senses tingling and pain, which can be acute. Loss of circulation can be for a few minutes or even hours, according to the degree of exposure. Repeated and prolonged bouts of Reynaud’s can bring about skin ulcers and dry gangrene, but they are more usually associated with secondary Reynaud’s disease which develops because of other medical conditions or work-related activities - smoking in some instances.


The best way of avoiding loss of blood circulation in my fingers and toes is not to expose myself to the cold. Consequently it is not wise for me to go sailing from November to March inclusive, as they are generally the colder months of the year, i.e., where I live in the northern hemisphere. If I were to fall into cold water, I would be in severe trouble. As it is, most people cannot survive in freezing water for more than 15 minutes. If the temperature is between 21 and 27 degrees Celsius, they can be expected to survive for up to 3 hours until exhaustion and possible unconsciousness sets in. Fit people may survive within that temperature range for longer periods, according to their stamina and physical build.

'Talitha' in hibernation

Well, three mornings ago, when I left home, I felt cold air on my face and hands which reminded me it was time to lay-up ‘Talitha’ for the winter. She now resides in hibernation under a miscellany of covers in my garage. I placed her sail in the loft, where it will remain until the beginning of spring next year. My sailing season is over. Meanwhile, I have plenty of time for planning where I could take the boat, along with my tent, for a land-based sailing holiday next year. I love sailing on tidal waters, but for a change I may try a freshwater venue – any suggestions? I’ve never been to Loch Ness. Could this be a place where I may find a camping site by a gently sloping slipway?



Text for the Day

Jonah 1:15, 16 ‘So they picked up Jonah and threw him into the sea, and the sea ceased from its raging. Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice to the LORD and took vows.’



Links


Reynaud’s Disease

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Raynauds-phenomenon/Pages/Introduction.aspx


Renaud’s Phenomenon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/raynauds1.shtml


Cold Water Survival

http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm


Off-season Boating, Cold Shock and Hypothermia

http://www.enter.net/~skimmer/coldwater.html


List of Lakes and Lochs in the United Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_and_lochs_in_the_United_Kingdom


Loch Ness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Ness#Gallery

2 comments:

Danilo Haritz Psicólogo said...

Bill,
I really liked the project Talitha!
But, even living in a tropical country, I am concerned about their safety due to the high risk of rollover dory.
I suggest adding amas "Solway Dory Canoes."
You are a very special person!

William Serjeant said...

Danilo,

Mr Anonymous in the US has done that very thing, but he will be sailing his Sharpy with an ordinary centreboard. I'll be interested to hear how she goes.

There is very little risk of 'Talitha' rolling over. She has an 80 lbs ballast keel with almost 3ft of draught. She is very stable, even without the keel down.

Thank you for your comment.

Bill.