Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Trolley for ‘Talitha’

Scrap wood being utilized for making the trolley

One thing I realised at the first launching of ‘Talitha’ was that I could not lift the boat when her keel was fitted. I knew the reality of it; therefore I did not attempt to carry or drag her to the water. I patiently waited for the water to come to her.

Slot into which the skeg is inserted

To eliminate waiting in the future, I am building a small trolley that will slot onto ‘Talitha’s’ skeg so that I’ll be able to ease her into the water. When she’s afloat I shall be able to remove her trolley, and ship her rudder prior to setting off for a sail or a paddle.

Trolley frame in place, minus its wheels which will fit either side of the frame

My trolley differs from Derek’s because he adapted a proprietary one designed specifically for Mirror dinghies. Unfortunately, the manufacturer no longer produces them. Therefore mine will be purpose-built to snugly fit ‘Talitha’s’ skeg. The wheels and axle are from an old wheelie bin and they are more than strong enough for bearing the weight. They will be suitable for use on hardstanding, but not on soft ground, sand or shingle.


I am in the process of making the wooden parts of the trolley. Shortening the axle is problematical, because the wheels lock onto grooves at either end, which means I shall have to remove a central portion of the axle and join the outer parts together. This would best be done by welding them. I have a friend who has volunteered to do the welding, but he will not available for a while. However, if I can make a replica groove identical to one on the axle, there would be no need for welding. When a wheel is pushed onto the end of the axle, an internal spring-loaded pin locks into the grove so that the wheel cannot easily be removed.


A long handle can be attached to Derek’s trolley so that it can carry the keel and the keel weights. Such an arrangement could be useful if they have to be transported a distance to a place of entry at the water. This duality of purpose is very practical.

No comments: