Saturday, June 11, 2011

Building ‘Sharpy’ Part 113

Sawing pole in half

I recycled another piece of wood today for making the outer stem post. I’m not sure what the wood is, but it could be Iroko that had been a support pole for a garden parasol. When the epoxy has set I’ll finish shaping the wood to match the sides of the bow where they meet. I initially cut part of the pole in half down the middle with a medium ripsaw. Getting it to join nicely was tricky, because both surfaces where they come into contact with one another had to be perfectly straight.

Preparation

Fitted, ready for shaping

There were a number of holes in the rubbing strips where I had placed screws for attaching them to the bottom of the boat, so I used what remained of the epoxy to make putty for filling them. At my next opportunity I’ll be able to smooth the filler when I shape the outer stem post.

No comments: