Saturday, June 04, 2011

Building ‘Sharpy’ Part 106

Messy epoxy fillet

Today I shaped the coamings with a hand plane, then with a sandpaper board, to make them ready for epoxy filleting on the outside where they meet the decks. Before doing the filleting I prepared a mahogany collar for the mast where it will pass through the foredeck. I fitted the collar while doing the filleting with the same batch of epoxy.

Equally messy collar.


The filleting looks a dreadful mess, but that will not be the case once I have sanded the hardened epoxy.


One by one, jobs are being done, and I am encouraged to be at a point where I can see the end of the tunnel. I shall have to test stepping the mast, because I expect I’ll need to do a bit more shaping around the collar so that the mast will slip in without being hindered. The outer stem post will have to be shaped and attached to the inner one. That will bring me to rounding the chines before covering them with GRP tape; then I’ll attach the rubbing strips.


Well, there we are; a good few hours will be required for finishing ‘Sharpy’.

No comments: