Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Leaves

Raw materials for creative expression

A week ago I created a work of art worthy of sponsorship by the Arts Council. I raked up leaves from my front and back gardens and placed them into piles. I then admired their colours, textures and forms. I also pondered the spatial relationships between them and mused as to their transitory nature – leaves that were once full of sap and vitality, but in the autumn of life, they were destined to decay. After those aesthetic, stimulating experiences I shovelled the leaves into my green waste dustbin and placed the bin on the pavement outside my house. Finally they were taken away by the local Council recycling team for composting and reconstituting into useful garden mulch.

Masterpiece

I surely deserve a grant from the Arts Council for future creative enterprise, especially if I can involve many people in creative imaginative experiences.


Even if leaves had fallen at the beginning of the year and throughout the summer until autumn, I would have been reluctant to compete with the ‘Trust New Art, Chalk South Downs’ experiential art project, for fear of depriving the artists who executed so great a masterpiece from the satisfaction of receiving accolades from the Arts Council. I did not want to steal their thunder, nor did I wish to have funding in preference to them – selfless and altruistic, that’s me.

Void for the imagination

But you never know – One day I could be recognised by the Arts Council as a brilliant, gifted, talented artist worthy of a reward, even for this superlative daily Blog.



Text for the Day

Ecclesiastes 12:1 ‘Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, Before the difficult days come, And the years draw near when you say, “I have no pleasure in them.”



Links


Arts Council

http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/


Trust New Art: Chalk, South Downs

http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/our-work/trust-new-art-chalk-south-downs/


Red Earth

http://www.redearth.co.uk/

No comments: