Sunday, June 24, 2007


Having taken a year and a half to build ‘Faith’, my Paradox micro-sailboat, and having tried her out on the River Crouch in various wind strengths I’m raring to go!

I hoped to make a start at a month’s cruise on Monday, 25th June by taking the boat on her trailer to Exmouth in Devon and from there to attempt a short cruise to Dartmouth and back before progressing further west, either by road or at sea. However, Prudence calls for a delay in the start because of an adverse weather forecast. Here’s the Inshore Forecast:

Lyme Regis to Lands End including Isles of Scilly

Issued by the Met Office at 1800 UTC on Sunday 24 June 2007

24 hour forecast:

Wind - Northwest, backing west for a time, 4 or 5, occasionally 6, increasing 6 to gale 8 later.
Weather - Rain or showers.
Visibility - Moderate or good, occasionally poor.
Sea State - Slight or moderate, increasing moderate or rough later.

Outlook for the following 24 hours:

Wind - Northwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8, decreasing 4 or 5.
Weather - Rain or showers.
Visibility - Moderate or good.
Sea State - Moderate or rough.

This would call for a start by road on Wednesday, 27th when the main series of ‘lows’ will have passed to the north east, but I’ll review the situation on Tuesday, 26th.

If you the reader are disappointed, you can imagine my feelings, and yet a delay of one, two or perhaps three days when seen in perspective is insignificant.

No comments: