Monday, February 08, 2010

'Micro' at Holy Island, part 5

Day three


The wait


Saturday morning’s Shipping Forecast predicted stronger winds than I wanted. High water was about 0800 hours; therefore I anchored beyond the moorings to wait until 1145 when the ebb would be manageable. I had plenty to occupy my time that sunny morning. Firstly I had to make myself presentable, not because I was going to be seen by anyone special, but for my own wellbeing. This meant having a shave and a body wash, plus brushing my teeth. Afterwards I had my usual daily Bible reading, followed by a quiet time which when cruising was not always possible. After those rituals I prepared the boat for sailing. I had to swap the working jib with the storm jib, and tie a couple of reefs into the mainsail. Then I hoisted my Micro Sailboat Club pennant, despite the fact that my conscience was not at ease because of the carbon emissions from my car on Day 1. At least, by flying the pennant, people may enquire about the Club, and I would be able to explain it was for sailors who were interested in eco-friendly boating.


Suffolk Beach Punt


Meanwhile Paul and Ian anchored their smart Suffolk Beach Punt nearby. She was festooned with flags in honour of the Queen's Jubilee. Her crew joined me in conversation while they cooked their breakfast. The smell of scrambled eggs and fried bacon was irresistible, but I wasn’t invited to join ‘Peregin’s’ crew to share it. There was much hustle and bustle on the jetty, because a trawler that had undergone a refit was being launched. Trippers arrived by boat to explore the Island. Black-headed gulls wheeled overhead, while others dived into the water in search of small fry.


George's Cruz in the distance


Later, as I was reading a passage from John Macgregor's, “A Thousand Miles in the Rob Roy Canoe”, George Saffrey arrived in his Cruz and anchored a short distance from ‘Pergrin’. He was followed by Liz Baker aboard her able gaff-rigged Cormorant.

No comments: