Friday, August 06, 2010

Another Day

Chay Blyth's 'British Steel' that he sailed around the world against the prevailing winds. I took the photo at Dartmouth.

I received an indirect comment about how my Blog was not as interesting as when I was cruising. Well, that’s probably true, but like everybody, I have to take life as it comes. There are times when you travel in the fast lane and lots of things are happening very quickly. When speeding along the motorway, if your judgments are not correct, the consequences can be grave. If you are in the slow lane and you keep your distance, you have more time to react to situations. There’s little excitement and no adrenalin rush, but life is safer and duller.


Today, I’ve been in the slow lane, doing mundane things, such as cleaning the car, cutting the lawns, hanging out the washing, ironing it when dry, repairing a sleeping bag with needle and thread, and shopping etc.. I have not been faced with vital decisions or the need to react immediately to a wave that might crash into the cockpit of my yacht. I have not had to battle with the wind or the sea. I’ve been able to stand without being thrown about because of the constant movement of the boat. I have not had to be careful when standing on the deck while reefing the mainsail, with the possibility that I may slip and end up in the briny.


This has been just an ordinary day with no challenging or demanding situations. For this I can be grateful. I can be thankful that I have not had to use the rubber dinghy to get ashore to find drinking water, buy food, or get hold of fuel for the engine. Tonight, I shall be able to sleep on a level, static bed without being rolled from side to side or tossed violently as when ‘Ladybird’ was anchored at Starcross in a full gale.


Well, I’m sorry that my Blog can be no more interesting than it is, but I do it for myself, and you the reader, can peek through the window to see what I am doing, or share my thoughts, learn of my aspirations, my failings, my triumphs, my ups and my downs. The door is open, and if you want to pop in on a regular basis, or call now and again, there’s no charge, and little effort is required on your part. If you want to share or make a comment, the facility is there.



Web Link

Chay Blyth - a man who has had plenty of excitement in his lifetime

http://www.solarnavigator.net/sir_chay_blyth.htm

5 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

Bill you can't please all of the people all of the time, but I have to say your blog is always a pleasure to read.

Volney said...

Hats off to you Bill for being able to write so much every day that is interesting to read, which most of could never do! I am fascinated how you have balanced the blog, family, friends, sailing, building and your spiritual belief to live life to the fullest as long as you can!

William Serjeant said...

Thanks, both of you. It's always encouraging when people respond positively. I do appreciate your input.

Thomas Armstrong said...

Bill, on the contrary! I had looked to end end of your cruise with some dissapointment, as your post had entertained me and help the workday move by. But it been pleasent to find that your weblog is no less interesting for all that you aren't sailing as much. Thanks for the exquisite little canoe yawl. Looks like the real thing and not a more recent build?

William Serjeant said...

The canoe yawl is the real thing, rebuilt by Fabian Bush. The owner says she was the last sailing boat to be used by the Thames River Police. Her mooring is near mine at Burnham-on-Crouch. She has a good turn of speed and goes to windward pretty well. The owner took her through the Havengore from the River Roach, across the Thames to the Medway, then behind the Isle of Sheppy via the River Swale and back through the Havengore - no enine of course.