Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Testing the Depth Sounder and the Dinghy

Retaining pin through shaft
Oars can be shortened for stowing
By pontoon
Tender behind!
Partially inflated in car
Depth Sounder working

Today was my first opportunity to reinstall my Target 2 NASA Depth Sounder, which only took a few minutes, and testing it took a further five minutes. The engineers at NASA Marine were as good as their word. They successfully repaired the depth sounder and the readings taken today were accurate, because I checked them with a lead-line.


I also had a chance to test my brand-new WavEco 1.85 inflatable dinghy. As I expected, the shafts of the oars bumped into my knees unless I crossed my legs at the ankles.


Because the oars are short, it is necessary to row quicker strokes than would be the case with longer oars to maintain the same speed. The dinghy is highly manoeuvrable and she can be rowed stern first or bow first. One disadvantage of the pin system of attaching the oars is that the blades cannot be feathered, which means there is more air resistance when rowing into the wind, but an advantage of the pin system is that the oars cannot be lost because their retainer caps keep them in place. They can also be stowed on the sides of the dinghy, either facing towards the bow or the stern. That means the appropriate oar can be kept clear when the dinghy comes alongside a yacht, pontoon or jetty where her crew wants to disembark.


I found that the easiest way of transporting the dinghy was to roll her up when partially inflated and put her in the back of the car. Alternatively, I could have put her on the roof rack, but I did not choose that option because of the possibility of abrasion to the rubberised fabric. Incidentally, when I placed the oars in the back of the car I noticed pools of water under them. I hadn’t realised water had entered their hollow shafts and blades. Fortunately I had placed a tarpaulin in the boot before loading the dinghy into it. I shall remember to drain the oars in future.


Back at home I inflated the dinghy and hosed her with fresh water. All in all, I was very pleased with her, and I’m relieved to have my depth sounder working again.


Links


WavEco 1.85m Dinghy

http://www.bitsfortheboat.com/categories/Inflatable-Dinghies/Waveco-Inflatable-Boats/


Previous Article on Target 2 NASA Depth Sounder

http://bills-log.blogspot.com/2010/04/nasa-target-2-depth-sounder.html


NASA Marine

http://www.nasamarine.com/

No comments: