Monday, April 29, 2013

Pottering -Part 4

Yesterday at the end of the day's log I asked the question, "What will tomorrow bring?"

Well, it is 16.20 and I have had a good time. By comparison with last night it has been bliss. Anchored in Liegh Creek during a blow was a very uncomfortable experience. I didn't get any real sleep, and for most of the time I stood anchor watch. One trawler came up the Creek 30 minutes before HW.

At the crack of dawn the sky was dark and foreboding, but I had business to do. My endeavour was to cross the Thames to the Medway. There was a 3 to 4 from the NW which was just the ticket. I put one reef in the main and set a reduced jib.

From Leigh Buoy right into Queenborough was truly exciting. Now and again I had to ease the sheets, and near the Kent side I had to put in a second reef.

I took up the anchor at Leigh at 06.40 while a seal watched my every move. Two and a half hours later' Sandpiper' was secure on a Queenborough mooring.

Since then I have had a nap and attended to several things that required attention.

There is no immediate necessity to obtain food or water, but I only have 6 litres of petrol left; therefore a time ashore must be on the cards within a day or so.







2 comments:

Phil said...

Sounds like you're having a great time Bill. I feel I'm almost there with you :O).

William Serjeant said...

Yes, So far it has been good, except the horrible night at Leigh Creek.
Cheers,
Bill.