Thursday, December 08, 2011

‘Gem’ a Ferro-Cement Yacht



Yesterday I posted details of a Botter yacht, suggesting she was more than just a houseboat - in fact a yacht with a reasonable performance. Here’s another, quite different vessel for a liveaboard, a large Ferro-cement yacht with a deep draught. At first I thought she might be a Hartley Fijian 43 Mk 1 without ports along her topsides, but I am fairly sure she is more likely to be an Alan F. Hill Valiant 41. These yachts were built by Ferro-Cement Marine Services at Burnham-on-Crouch in the early 1980s.



Only a week or so ago I took these photos at Burnham Yacht Marina where the vessel recently underwent a refit. Her original name was ‘GB Gem’. She used to be moored at a jetty at the first owner’s house beside the River Crouch at Hullbridge. I think he bought the hull and fitted her out for ocean cruising. I remember seeing her motoring up and down the River. Over a period of two or three years her mooring would be vacant now and again; therefore I assume the owner and his crew took her cruising. Thereafter she was unused for several years, left in the owner’s mud berth at Hullbridge. She began to show signs of neglect; then I heard she was for sale. Next time I saw her she was at Burnham Yacht Harbour where she was on the books of Clarke and Carter Brokerage.



Large yachts do not normally fire my imagination, but this one does, and if I were a younger man wanting a sea-going home, I certainly would be attracted to her. She’s the sort of yacht that inspires confidence and excites the mind. She would be a fine vessel for ocean cruising, exploring and visiting distant shores. The only drawback is her draught, which on account of being nearly two metres would exclude her from some Pacific atoll anchorages.




Dimensions for an Alan F. Hill Valiant 41

LOA 12.49m
LWL 10.16m
Beam 3.65m
Draught 1.90m
Displacement 14,000kg
Headroom 1.80m



Text for the Day

John 15:12 'This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.'


Links


The World of Ferro-Cement Boats

http://www.ferroboats.com/


Alan F Hill Valiant 41 Removed from Sale

http://algarve.boatshed.com/ferro_marine_services_essex_valient_41-boat-15644.html


Hartley Fijian 43

http://www.hartley-boats.com/fijian43.html


Ferro-cement Yachts

http://bills-log.blogspot.com/2010/08/ferro-cement-yachts.html

No comments: