Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Sun Stood Still






At this time of year in the northern hemisphere the sun rises early and sets late. Here in the UK the sun rises just before six and sets about a quarter past eight; that’s about fourteen and a quarter hours of daylight. I habitually wake as the sun rises and more often than not go to bed between ten thirty and eleven o’clock at night. That gives me seventeen hours for doing those things that need to be done and other things that I want to do.

This evening, as I took my post-prandial walk I was amazed how long my lumbering shadow was as it kept pace with my every stride. The spindly shadow exaggerated my height and resembled a moving Giocometti figure. For some reason the hovering sun just did not want to set, but very, very slowly it reluctantly dipped beyond the rooftops, radiating pink and purple hues, while golden tints and acid yellows reflected from high mare's tails suspended motionless in an endless, aqueous blue. A bright star, like a priceless diamond, sparkled, enthroned in heaven above.

What a fitting end to the day this was, a day when so many things were accomplished, and I wonder how they could all have been fitted in. I was reminded of Joshua’s battle on the day the sun stood still. After speaking to the LORD he said before Israel: “Sun stand still over Gibeon; And Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.” (Joshua 10:12)

When God responds to prayers He can perform mighty miracles, so don’t underestimate the power of ardent prayers.

No comments: