Friday, April 15, 2005

Testing the System

Today while the boat is ashore I am trying the computer navigation system and connections to the Internet using the Vodafone Connect Card.

Having wired the solar panel, all seems to be working, but a much longer test will be needed to ensure there is sufficient power to run both the navigation and communications facilities. Also I shall need to try things out when the boat is on the water under sail. How will the computer operate when the boat is hard on the wind and it is subject to pounding? I’ll have to wait and see.

As I prepare this article for my ‘blog’ the rain is beating on the cabin top, and apart from the sound of it all else is quiet, because no other ‘nutters’ are here at the boat yard working on their yachts. They have all deserted me, but I must say this little community of yachtsmen at Rice and Coles is a friendly bunch. Ask for advice and you’ll not be short of helpful suggestions.

Well, if you are reading this, then the Internet communications part of the system is working. The navigation programme is fine too.

That’s it for today, as there’s not much more I can do in this horrible weather.

No comments: